At MedStar, we believe in putting the patient at the heart of everything we do, this includes not only the CLINICAL care we deliver, but also the patient's EXPERIENCE with our communications, field and business office team members.
Hospitals, physicians, skilled nursing and home health agencies are required by the federal government to assess and report their patient experience scores using an external agency approved by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) and a process that eliminates the perception of bias in any way.
As a mobile healthcare provider, MedStar is one of only 135 EMS agencies in the country that believe we should hold ourselves accountable for patient experience the same way the rest of the healthcare system does - using an outside agency and pure data collection methods.
These innovative agencies have chosen to use the EMS Survey Team (EMSST) and follow the same process as the rest of the healthcare system. Monthly, MedStar uploads all our emergency patient data for that month to a secure EMSST server. The EMSST then uses a computer algorithm to select a representative sample of patients to contact and conduct a patient experience survey.
The results from these surveys are then analyzed and provided in a detailed report each month. MedStar never sends or receives the actual survey data, it is a completely external process.
Our data is not only reported monthly as an individual agency, but as a quarterly roll-up compared to all similar EMS agencies in the data base.
MedStar's EMSST monthly and quarterly reports are available below.
It is with great pleasure that we release MedStar’s 4th Quarter 2016 EMS Survey Team Patient Experience report and highlight that MedStar’s Team scored the highest patient experience scores for all 135 EMS agencies included in the database.
This report is generated from externally conducted, randomized surveys of MedStar patient contacts.
MedStar scored the highest for every EMS Agency comparison:
- Similar size EMS agencies
- Agencies accredited by the Commission for the Accreditation of Ambulance Services (CAAS)
- All EMS Agencies in the EMS Survey Team Databases
Top 5 Scores – Field Operations (Out of 100) Score
- Appropriateness of treatment 98.00
- Extent to which our staff eased your entry into the medical facility 97.96
- Medics' concern for your privacy 97.84
- Extent to which the medics kept you informed about your treatment 97.83
- Skill of the ambulance operation 97.81
Top 5 Scores – Non-Field Operations (Out of 100)
- Concern shown by the person you called for ambulance service 95.66
- Helpfulness of the person you called for ambulance service 95.33
- Extent to which you were told what to do until the ambulance arrived 95.21
- Willingness of the staff in our billing office to address your needs 91.69
- Professionalism of the staff in our billing office 91.54
We are exceptionally proud of all our Team members for this amazing accomplishment!!
As a further commitment to patient experience metrics, MedStar authored an article in the Journal of Emergency Medical Services (JEMS) on the subject and have presented nationally on this topic.
Click here for a copy of the article
Click here to view a PDF of a recent presentation